Wednesday, July 13, 2022

It's a Trap! The brutal service industry, on the front line of abuse.

 


The first job I got, where the money didn't come from my parents, was at the eager age of 13.  I took my love of soccer, became a ref, and made it my profession.  It was a great gig, I worked one day a week and only when I wanted to, basically I worked when I needed more cash to buy things I wanted, and yes I was paid in cash or check, tax free (this was in the 90's.

I started with the little guys, U6 4v4.  I had fun with it, blowing my whistle infrequently, more an arbiter ensuring the rules of the game were loosely followed, that everyone was having fun, and most importantly that parents stayed out of the game if they were overly negative.  It was here my education of de-escalation began and which I would later use in college, working in the dining hall and turning around a failing retail store called the Late Night Ridgeway Market.  We closed at 2am at Western Washington University, I'm sure you get the rest. 

So, why did I say the service industry is a trap?  It's a trap because 20% of American currently work in this industry and here's the gab, historically only 1 in 10 Americans retire from this same career path.  Most leave, and start other careers, but some don't.  Best of luck in your career path, as in the Return of Jedi, even a trap can be sprung.  

Here's a great follow on podcast talking about the history of the service industry in America. Enjoy

The land of the Fee